I was hoping for Spring to be in the air this weekend but don’t let the Winter weather stop you from attending the The Great Outdoor Family Expo at the YMCA Fairgrounds Fitness Center in Watertown, NY 3/22/13-3/24/13. The three-day Great Outdoor Family Expo includes exciting exhibits and fun activities for outdoor enthusiasts of all ages. Activity highlights include the opportunity to SCUBA dive in the National Aquatic Service’s 11,000 gallon pool. You can also have your trophy buck scored by the Northeast Big Buck Exhibit, attend seminars on Turkey and Game Calls, try Laser Duck Hunting and Learn all about raising Alpaca. Your children will enjoy the wildlife show from the NYS Zoo at Thompson Park, including their New York’s Wild Wonders and Birds of Prey programs. Also, new this year will be an interactive display from the U.S. Army. $ 4.00 General Admission or $ 3.00 with Military ID. Click here for more details or event hours.
This is the second and final weekend for the NYS Maple Weekend Open House! For more details or for participating locations for this FREE event click here.
South Jefferson High School Music Department will be performing the musical Annie on 3/22/13 and 3/23/13 at 7pm at the Clarke High School Auditorium in Adams, NY. Admission is $ 6.00, children under 5 admission is FREE! Click here for more details!
Fun at Home Idea: Have your children help make their own play dough (click here) or their own finger paints (click here) and then let their creativity flow!
What a great weekend for FREE family fun! I am going to start posting Family Fun Events on Thursday with the increase of Friday events to give people time to plan!
Omega-Man & Friends Anti-Bullying
presentation: Friday March 15th, 6:30 pm at the South Jefferson Mannsville-Manor Elementary school in Mannsville, NY. FREE pizza dinner starts at 5:30 in the cafeteria. World class athletes will send a positive message to kids about being a Dream-Maker, not a Dream-Breaker. All FREE!!
2013 Irish Festival
: Friday March 15th – Sunday March 17th at the Dulles State Office Building in Watertown. A parade, Irish step-dancing, Celtic Kids Zone with an Irish story teller and more! For a full schedule of events or more info click here
. $ 6.00 admission Friday & Saturday (12 & under FREE), Sunday is $ 6.00 per family or $ 2.00 per individual.
NYS Maple Weekend
: Saturday March 16th & Sunday March 17th 10am – 4pm; Experience first-hand how maple products go from tree to table for FREE!! Click here
for a list of maple producers who are participating in this event.
Family Fun at Home Idea: Try a fun science project that also “plants” a foundation for interest in self-sustaining and gardening in your children. Click here for a list of foods that can be grown with kitchen scraps. Pick something you have at home and with your children, follow the instructions on how to prepare it for regrowth!
Tickets: $10 – $15
(All seats reserved)
($3 per ticket student discount)
Garry Krinsky is a zany, multi-talented New Vaudevillian who just happens to love science. Toying with Science is a fast-paced, varied and dynamic program combining circus skills, daring feats of balance, mime, original music, and audience involvement to explore gravity, leverage, fulcrums and simple machines. His science toys come to life with motion, music, humor and insight, while he turns audience members into stars.
WHAT: The Belleville Henderson Music Department presents “The Wizard of Oz.”
WHEN/WHERE: 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Belleville Henderson Central School auditorium, 8372 County Route 75, Belleville.
COST: $6 for adults and $3 for students.
(There are several school plays performing this weekend. Click here for a listing of events.)
Visitors will participate in a guided hike through the woods looking for signs that winter is coming to an end. Following the hike there will be a seed planting activity at the museum.
Phone: (315) 482-2479
With materials at home, have some craft time with the kids and make their Easter Baskets to leave out for the Easter Bunny to fill at the end of this month! Here are some links to give you ideas- but get creative!
Easter Basket Ideas Link # 1
Easter Basket Ideas Link # 2
Easter Basket Ideas Link # 3
Happy March! Looking for plans for the weekend? Check out the Penny Pinching Parents’ Family Fun Weekend Events for 3/1/13- 3/3/13:
- Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! Celebrate the birthday of this brilliant author of classic beloved childrens’ books such as Cat in the Hat and Hop on Pop by joining the Adams Free Library on Saturday March 2nd, 2013 from 10:00 until 11:00 am for activities and a snack! Pre-register (so they have enough supplies on hand) by calling (315) 232-2265.
- Harlem Superstars versus the Watertown “Dream Team” Basketball Game! Saturday March 2nd at 7pm at the Watertown Case Middle School to benefit the WHS Girls Lacrosse Team. Tickets are $8.00 at the door.
- Ceramic Egg Painting Classes Hosted by North Country Arts Council, taught by Ursula Mickel, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, March 2, for ages 5 to 12, and 7 to 8:30 p.m. Friday, March 8, for teens to adult, both at Arts on the Square, Franklin Building, 52 Public Square. Class fee, includes ceramic egg, materials, kiln firing: $25; members, $20. Registration deadline: Saturday, Feb. 23, 661-6361 or www.nnyart.org.
- Fun at Home Idea: Make a new recipe together as a family! Whether it be baked goods or dinner, pick something that everyone thinks looks great and put emphasis on teamwork to make the recipe come together! There are so many yummy ideas on Pinterest! Post a picture of what you make if you decide to do this!
Last weekend of February! Spring here we come! Soon we will be planning trips to the park and splashing in Lake Ontario! Some people just can’t wait to splash in the water- the contestants for the 23rd Annual Polar Bear Dip to benefit the River Hospital! Saturday February 23rd, 2013, dipping starts at 1:00pm at Bonnie Castle Resort in Alex Bay! Click here for more details!
I also want to highlight several area benefits this weekend:
- First Annual Maddie’s Mark Carnival, Sunday 2/24/13 11am-4pm at the Northside Improvement League in Watertown. Face painting, a clown, a magician, games, food, raffles- oh my! $ 2.00 per person or $10.00 per family admission. If you are going to do anything this weekend, I strongly suggest this carnival. To learn more about the event and Maddie’s story, click here.
- Nicholas Larmie Fundraiser, Saturday 2/23/13 4pm-8pm at the American Legion in Adams. Food, raffles, DJ, bake sale, auction and much more! To learn more about the event and Nicholas’ story, click here.
- Zumba for Robert Piper, Saturday 2/23/13 1pm-3pm at the South Jefferson High School in Adams. $ 8.00 per person to Zumba, $ 5.00 per middle/high school student. Raffles and bake sale as well! To learn more about the event and Robert’s story click here.
**New this week: Fun idea at home! Starting this week I will also feature a fun idea or craft to do at home! Nothing says thrifty like staying at home and having fun! Like I said, spring is coming! Bundle up and get outside and enjoy the snow before it’s gone! Build a snowman, have a snowball fight, make snow angels!
Take your good little bunnies down the trail to the Adirondack Scenic Railroad to take a ride on the Easter Bunny Train! One day only! March 30th at 10:00 am, 12:00 pm and 2:00pm departing from the Utica Train Station. Tickets are $ 12.00 adults and $ 10.00 for youth (ages 2-12). Meet the Easter Bunny, hunt for eggs and experience an unforgettable train ride! For more info or to buy tickets click here.
Lots of fun options heading our way this weekend! Something to please everyone from Dad to baby!
Papa Bear’s Event Pick:
- 2013 Home Show at Turning Stone Resort & Casino in Verona, NY. Get a $2.00 off admission ticket by clicking here. Friday, Saturday and Sunday come experience CNY’s largest showcase of home improvement products and services! Without coupon it is $ 7.00 per adult at the door. Children ages 16 and under are FREE!! Click here for more information on the event.
Mama Bear’s Event Pick:
- 25th Anniversary Production of Phantom of the Opera on the big screen at the Clayton Opera House. Tonight, 7pm. Tickets are $ 15.00 per adult, $ 8.00 per student. Click here for more details on the event.
Baby Bear’s Event Picks:
Storytime Safari at the NYS Zoo at Thompson Park for ages 3-6, 2/16/13 from 12:30-1:30pm.
Storytime Safari is for kids ages 3-6 with an adult companion. We will begin by reading an exciting story about animals. Afterward, we will get to meet some of the animals from the story!
Cost: Members $4/child, Non-members $6/child + zoo admission (There is no additional program fee for adults.)
Advanced registration recommended. (315-755-0895)
Snack Shack Bounce House Coffeen Street in Watertown $ 5 per hour of fun! Click here for more details!
Middle of February in Northern New York means that spring is crawling towards us! SO take advantage of the winter activities that are only offered this time of year!
- Horsedrawn Sleigh Rides thru Highland Forest Park (Syracuse): $ 6.00 per person, $ 3.00 for ages 5 and under. Click here for dates, times and more details!
- Ice Skating in Watertown (Indoor and Outdoors): Indoor @ Watertown Fairgrounds Arena ($2.00 admission/ $ 2.00 skate rentals) Click here for dates, times and more details. Outdoor @ Thompson Park in Watertown (FREE admission, bring your own skates) Click here for dates, times and more details.
- Sledding in Watertown: Thompson Park Hill in Watertown- FREE, just bring your own sled! Thompson Park also offers Snowshoe Trails- just bring your own snowshoes!
- Tubing at Dry Hill: Take the entire family to Dry Hill for tubing down their hills! $ 15.00 per adult, $ 13 per junior! Click here for dates, times and more details.
- If you know of any other outdoor activities not listed here that are family friendly, please comment with info! Enjoy!
I hope that this storm isn’t half as bad as they are predicting because there are A LOT of great family friendly events happening in Upstate New York this weekend!
2/9/13 Mac & Cheese Festival
to Benefit the SJ Backpack Program 9am-2pm at the South Jefferson High School on Route 11 in Adams, NY- Family fun with a best mac & cheese competition, music, crafts for the kids, etc.
Admission is FREE!! Fun for the entire family although activities are geared towards grades 5-8, last year my friend and I took our 4 year olds and they loved it! Open 10am-3pm!
at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo at Burnet Park in Syracuse, NY 2/10/13 10:00 am – 3:45 pm
Free for members and with zoo admission.
Note, half price admission is in effect for this event!
More than 15 species of animals will receive Valentine’s Day treats, including the bears, lions and elephants. The animals will be presented with heart shaped treats including popsicles made with juice and fruits, hamburger patties and jelly beans.
Presenting the animals with unusual items is part of the zoo’s enrichment program, designed to encourage the animals to use their natural behaviors found in the wild and enhance their overall well-being.
10:15 a.m. African Lions
10:30 a.m. Fossa
11:00 a.m. Amur Tigers
11:30 a.m. Fisher
11:45 a.m. Red Wolves
12:00 p.m. Snow Leopards
12:30 p.m. Spectacled Bears
1:00 p.m. Barn Animals
1:30 p.m. Grey Wolves
2:00 p.m. Siamang
2:30 p.m. Ring-tailed Lemurs
3:00 p.m. Patas Monkeys
3:30 p.m. Diversity of Birds
Yay!!! It’s Friday!! Although I REALLY like my down time, my kids get a little stir crazy at home all weekend! Here is a HUGE list of things going on this weekend in upstate New York!!